Friday, September 23, 2011

side effects

Every day I take a medication, that as a result, affects my dreams. Only rarely do I wake with my teeth in pain from the grinding, and my body aching from being tensed, glad that I sleep alone. Most of the time, my dreams are like watching a sitcom. They often have my friends show up in strange situations, or places, doing things that don’t fit their characters. Sometimes I even have these really great erotic dreams that leave me feeling like I am fourteen again. The fact that my dream state is altered doesn’t bother me much; it is a side effect of the medication. Taber’s medical dictionary says a side effect is “An action or effect of a drug other than that desired.” The drug does its job and the side effects are mild so I keep taking it even though I don’t desire the dreams, because it works for me.

I have some close friends. Sometimes my friends are a giant pain in the posterior area. Sometimes I have erotic dreams about certain of them too. I also spend a good deal of time laughing and shaking my head in befuddlement and amazement. For the most part though my friends are giant rock walls who stand with me to the end, no matter what gale blows against me. The side effects, well, they are negligible, and sometimes you just take the good with the bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment