Monday, September 5, 2011

My cancer

Dear Mom
It is now halfway between your birthday and my own and more then two years since you passed, and I have to wonder is it wrong to be angry so long? What makes a person feel the need to be a martyr? To go so long untreated for what you know is there with a chain of excuses about lack of money? To leave so early from a treatable condition? The rate of breast cancer survival continues to rise, yet really you never gave it a shot when it would have done us any good. I'm not sure who told you I wanted to be without your advice and comfort such as it was, but they were wrong you know. Sure you were human, but after all the years, I could filter out what I needed. We do that for everyone in the end. What about Emily? Children learn most from examples and since breast cancer is prevalent on both sides of her family, shouldn't you have lead from the front? Couldn't you have fought this like a warrior? Why did you leave me here with this cancer on my soul?

1 comment:

  1. Wow...hard to absorb, but very meaningful nevertheless. The only thing you can do is teach Emily how important it is to treat herself better and make sure she's around for her adult children and grandchildren, brother.

    ReplyDelete